Sunday, February 12, 2012

Natasha Meister

Singer/songwriter, Natasha Meister has become our very own Blues Queen in the 2 short years since returning from Canada to her ancestral home in Africa. At only 20, she has made a huge impact on discerning SA audiences, especially in the blues/funk niche. Natasha has a great bluesey, Motown voice, plays phenomenal electric and acoustic guitar and is a gifted songwriter.
Natasha Meister was featured on Espresso on the 19th of Jan this year. I was in the shower when I heard her singing, “This desire”. I jumped right out so that I could listen properly and find out who the artist was. I loved the track so I went to YouTube and streamed everything I could find.
The following day I called Musica, Look & Listen, etc trying to find the CD, but to no avail.
I then searched for her online and came across her website (www.natashameister.com) I proceeded to send an email trying to get her CD. Not only did I get a reply, but she replied herself. *chuffed*
She was very down-to-earth and friendly via email. She agreed to post the CD to me after I made the payment. (R150 including postage).

I love getting things in the mail!*
The CD features 11 songs including a bonus track. All original material and she’s truly brilliant.

I then took a chance and asked her to answer a few questions for my blog and she agreed. *big to0thy grin*
Here goes!










1. Who has been your biggest musical influence?
I couldn't just say one in particular..but I will definitely say a lot of the great blues legends such as B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stevie Wonder, Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi..as well as more modern artists like John Mayer, Norah Jones, Adele, and the late Amy Winehouse.
2. How old were you when you started playing the guitar?
I started playing guitar at the age of 13..that's when my dad bought me my first acoustic.
3. What inspired “This desire”?
"This Desire" is a song of mine that was inspired by a long distance relationship that I was in when I first moved to SA. I knew that it wasn't going to work out but I felt like I couldn't let go..but writing that song helped me to do just that. I think a lot people can relate to it and have probably gone through something similar.
4. If you weren’t performing, what else would you have liked to do?
If I wasn't performing and doing music full time as my career, I have no idea what I'd be doing! I would probably give singing lessons or guitar lessons - it would still have to involve music in someway - I'm very passionate about music!
5. How would you describe your personal style?
I don't have much style lol!..at least I don't think so. But I suppose I would describe it as a "simple girl blues" look. I love my boots and belts and blue jeans..with my hair all down and loose.
6. Do you and your band have any plans to do promo shows in Port Elizabeth?
No shows planned in Port Elizabeth yet..but that's something we want to make happen in the near future.
7. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Hmmm, best piece of advice I've ever been given..my grandmother always used to tell me, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."..that's something I think everyone should live by.
8. What was it like doing a collaboration with Locnville?
Locnville are cool guys..they're just like normal people once you get to know them..so it was cool to hang out and record a track with them that's off they're latest album "Running To Midnight" and the track I'm on is called "Staring At The World Outside" - it's very different from what I'm used to, but it was tons of fun!
9. What do you do for fun other than music?
I like to hang out with friends, watch movies, go to the beach, take long drives, play tennis, go for walks.
10. What are your favourite places in Cape Town?
V&A Waterfront, Kirstenbosch Gardens, being on top of Table Mountain :)

Website:  www.natashameister.com 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Natasha-Meister/165416496840659
Audio: Tracks off my debut album: “Half Way” released in 2011 http://soundcloud.com/natasha-meister

 


No comments:

Post a Comment